- To make the dengaku miso sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and cook on a low heat for 2-3 mins, or until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prepare the konnyaku yam cakes by slicing them in half lengthways. Cut each half into 8 long strips. Gently score each strip with a criss-cross pattern along the top.
- Prepare a saucepan with enough boiling water to cover the yam cake strips. Add the strips and boil for 3-4 mins. Allow to cool a little before stringing onto bamboo skewers.
- Place the skewered yam cakes onto a serving dish, alternating the white and brown strips as desired. Drizzle some of the miso sauce on top and serve with more of the sauce for dipping.
- For something a little different, try grilling instead of boiling. Skewering the yam cake strips straight after slicing, then grill for 5-7 minutes on each side. Be sure to soak the skewers in water, preferably overnight, to prevent them from burning whilst on the grill.