Beef and Asparagus rolls:
8 asparagus spears
450g style thinly sliced beef
4 tbsp soy sauce
60ml cooking sake
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sugar
1. Combine the soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the beef and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
2. Slice the asparagus spears vertically in half. Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove from the pot and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
3. Take 2 to 3 slices of the beef and lay flat on a clean surface or board. Place 2 or 3 asparagus pieces across one edge of the sliced beef. Gently roll the asparagus up in the beef. Repeat until all ingredients have been used to make 6-8 rolls.
4. In a large frying pan, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the rolls to the pan and sear the beef until all sides are evenly browned. Add any remaining marinade into the pan and simmer all of the rolls in the frying pan for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Slice each roll into thirds and serve.