• 1/2 Onion
• 2 Shiitake Mushrooms
• 2 Crab Sticks
• 60ml Konbu Tsuyu (3x Concentrated)
• 40ml Water
• 2 Eggs
• 2 tsp Sugar
• A sprinkle of Aonori Seaweed
• 400g Cooked Japanese Rice
Suggested Drink: Sapporo Premium Lager
There are many different types of Japanese donburi or ‘rice bowl’ dishes, made from rice topped with delicious ingredients such as sukiyaki beef or spicy pork. This Fluffy Egg Donburi Rice Bowl features warm rice covered with a soft and fluffy omelette made with crab sticks and onion.
Inspired by the famous crab tenshin or kanitama don, this Fluffy Egg Donburi Rice Bowl is quick to make and filling. Great if you want something thrifty but delicious, or are in search of a new comfort food!
Begin by chopping your onion and shiitake mushrooms into thin slices, shredding your crab sticks, and then starting to cook the rice. If you’ve never cooked Japanese rice try our guides for cooking Japanese style white rice and brown rice.
Add the onions to a pan with your konbu tsuyu and water, and cook over a medium heat. If you use a different tsuyu you may need to adjust the concentration of your stock depending on the type you use, so check the instructions online or on the packaging first!
In a separate bowl add the sugar and eggs, mixing lightly until the whites and the yolks are blended. Then add the shredded crab sticks and shiitake mushrooms, and mix well.
Once the pan of onions has reached the boil, add eggs mixture and stir in a swirling spiral pattern.
Reduce to a low heat and cover, cooking for 3 minutes. Next stop the heat and leave the egg to steam for a further 2 minutes while still covered. You should have a lovely fluffy egg omelette now!
• If you want to make this dish really luxurious for a special occasion swap the crab sticks for canned crab or fresh cooked, de-shelled crab claws.
• For a vegetarian version of this tasty dish, try adding green peas or kikurage mushrooms as well as the shiitake mushrooms to give an interesting taste and flavour.